Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Proper Update

Since our little family has been home since Wednesday, its probably time to post a little update. I'm typing this with 8 pounds of adorable baby sprawled across my lap, so I apologize in advance for any incoherence.

Monday went swimmingly. We arrived at the hospital early, so we had plenty of time to check in. Just as we were about to head up to the second floor, Mom, Harriett and Jill arrived. Only two visitors were allowed in my room, so once we got settled, Mom came back and waited with us. We had been told that we were the second procedure of the day, so to expect that, barring any emergencies, the c-section might start around noon. Or maybe earlier or maybe later. But after about an hour, the doctor on duty came in and told us that the earlier procedure had been canceled, so we could go first if we wanted. He also reminded me that I could still do an induction if I wanted; he did a quick exam and confirmed that since my last exam I had progressed to a whole centimeter dilation. We stuck with the section.

The staff was amazing. I think I have a lingering crush on the anesthesiologist, who was incredibly thorough in explaining everything he was doing and got the spinal delivered with minimal discomfort, despite me having a bad case of the shakes before we even started (cold iv fluids = cruel). My primary nurse held my shoulders and distracted me while the spinal went in, and then there was a flurry of activity to get everything ready. Morgan came into the operating room just before the surgery started and sat at my head talking with me for the first 10 minutes or so of the procedure. The first we knew of Jasper being born were a series of startled little squawks. When Cliff, our anesthesiologist, told him to, Morgan went around and held the baby while the pediatric nurse cleaned him up and weighed him. Cliff gave me a running description of what was happening with the baby, describing how much hair Jasper had, and how Morgan was right in there helping, which, apparently a lot of dads wouldn't do, and how clear it was Morg is going to be a great dad. Then they brought Jasper up above my drape. Somehow, my oxygen mask had disappeared and Jasper's head was lowered onto my shoulder. I had a few minutes to look at his little face, and then he was taken away for the rest of whatever they needed to do to him.*

By the time I was wheeled back into my room, Morgan, Mom and the pediatric nurse were finishing giving Jasper his first shampoo. My nurse bundled me up with warm blankets since I had pretty severe tremors, a common side effect of the spinal. I watched Morgan and Mom and Jill and Harriett flurry around, crying and smiling and taking pictures. Finally (honestly, I think it was maybe 15 or 20 minutes), Jasper was brought to me. (See the giddy looking family pictures and the very stoned looking photo of me in the previous post.)

We spent two days in the hospital (which my home nurse tells me is a shockingly short amount of time for a c-section) and are thrilled to be home. Jasper is eating like a champ and is learning more about how to sleep. For the most part, he is ridiculously mellow. Had I finished this post when I started it yesterday, I would have talked about our marathon overnight nursing sessions and my wandering around the house in the middle of the night trying to find a room where he would fall soundly asleep enough for me to transfer him to the co-sleeper. But instead I'll talk about our miracle baby who ate a big meal before going to sleep last night, and then slept for three hours straight, until I had to wake him up to feed. After four nights of an hour or so of sleep, I think I love Jasper even more today than I did yesterday.

The cats are a little confused, but haven't tried to lie on him yet (though they do keep trying to crawl into the sleep nest thing we have in bed with us; we're discouraging it). Pace is probably coming home this afternoon, so we're not sure how he'll react. Apparently he was very into the blanket we sent home with Jill from the hospital.

In the meantime, a picture of Jasper with his new babysitter.**

* The hazards of blogging with child: This post was interrupted by numerous feedings, a trip to the train station to pick up a visiting Grandma, a remarkably sound night's sleep and a couple more feedings.

** Don't worry; we really aren't leaving Isobel alone with Jasper.

1 comment:

  1. Now, print this blog, along with the other ones, and keep it with his baby book. If you have one. Very lovely narrative. Hugs!