Thursday, January 1, 2009

And a happy new year to you.

I'm starting off the new year with a major change: As of tomorrow, I'm back at work. I'll be working for a consultancy firm that creates policy and procedure manuals for hospitals. This is a job I interviewed for about two months ago, but they took their time with interviews and making a decision. The timing is perfect. Two months ago was just before my morning sickness kicked in, and I would have struggled being in an office 40 hours a week. Instead, I got to sleep lots and take care of myself.

Because it is actually a job I think I'll find interesting and because I would like to start out on the best possible terms with the bosses, I decided to be upfront about the pregnancy. We talked about the fact that I expect to take an unpaid leave of absence for about 8 to 12 weeks, and that I will be fine working remotely when I feel I can before coming back in full time. He sounded pretty okay with the situation, and I'm happy I don't have to deal with hiding what is getting harder and harder to hide. Bring on the fitted maternity tops! Er, maybe.

Our new years eve/new years day have been incredibly mellow. After getting my job offer yesterday, we took an emergency trip to the store to get a pair of pants that are neither maternity jeans nor yoga pants, since none of my work pants from three months ago fit me. We stayed in last night, watched a movie and played games, then dosed Pace when the punks in our neighborhood started setting off bottle rockets. We clinked our water and orange juice glasses at midnight and went to bed. Today has been equally lazy. We're about to take advantage of the last hour or so of daylight and take Pacey up to Chabot for a walk - if we can shake off his Xanax hangover. Damn punks.

Happy New Year, everyone. I hope everyone else's year is off to as good a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment