Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another Milestone

I'm officially in my third trimester this week! Gulp.

The froglet is about 15 inches long and weighs close to two pounds this week. Of course, at the family gathering I attended this afternoon, I got to hear about my uncle, who was apparently 12 pounds and 24 inches long at birth. Good lord. No thank you. Froglet, you can keep growing your brains and developing your lungs and all that stuff, but if you can stop growing at around 19-20 inches and 7-8 pounds, I would be very grateful. Okay?

In other news, I spoke too soon about the wrist braces easing my carpal tunnel pain. After a couple really uncomfortable nights, I ordered a pair of nighttime splints - they go from my fingertips to almost my elbows. They haven't arrived yet, but I hope they are more comfortable than they sound. I sent a plea to my OB for a referral to a physical therapist or some sort of complimentary care something; he just suggested that I try vitamin B6. After I dried my tears of frustration (this was after a practically sleepless night), I fired off an email to my regular doctor with the same request. Haven't heard back from her yet. But in the meantime, I have an appointment with Kathleen, a friend of ours who is a massage therapist specializing in pre and post natal massage. Yay. She assures me that carpal tunnel is very common and that massage will definitely help.

I'm all about the pampering this week. In addition to my massage scheduled on Thursday, Jill and I spent yesterday at the Aveda Institute in San Francisco for facials and highlights. My aesthetician was great; once I told her I was pregnant, she made sure to avoid any questionable pressure points (since the facial included hand, foot and shoulder massages) and got a blanket for me to roll under my knees so I wouldn't stress out my back. She also rested her hands on my belly for a minute mid-facial, to say hello to the baby. Since the froglet kicked up a storm when she lifted her hands, I'm guessing he was saying hi back. He's friendly that way.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that sounds like a wonderful way to treat yourself and the baby. I'm sure he enjoyed the massage as much as you did! Hugs, Mardie

    ReplyDelete