Friday, May 1, 2009

Missing

I am a stomach sleeper. The last time I wasn't able to sleep on my belly for any length of time was when I got my belly button pierced. I was 20, living in England, and trying to prepare for finals in a university system I felt somewhat under-qualified to be in. When I can't sleep, when my brain won't shut off, I lay on my stomach, arms above my head. Something about the pose invariably knocks me out. I miss it.

My nighttime routine looks something like this: Go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, wash my face (if I have the energy), take the dog outside, fill up my water bottle, go to the bathroom, arrange my pillows (body pillow and wedge pillow, plus three regular pillows), pull on my super comfy wrist braces, climb into bed, pass out for an hour or so, wake up, go to the bathroom, go back to sleep, wake up with numb or cramping hands, go to the bathroom, go back to sleep, wake up with a cat either on me or wedged between me and one of my pillows, go to the bathroom, go back to sleep, wake up with aching hips or, if I've rolled onto my back, back spasms, go to the bathroom, go back to sleep, hit snooze on my alarm clock.

I miss sleep. I know I'm not going to get any more sleep after the froglet arrives, but I really wish that for the next few weeks I could get just a little bit more sleep. Oh well.

I skipped my week 32 post last week, so am lumping it in with the week 33 one. Baby is growing, so am I. There you have it. Actually, his bones are hardening up and he's losing his previously wrinkly look as he put on weight. He's up over four pounds now, and is up to around 17-19 inches long. My week-by-week book addressed multiples last week (seriously? shouldn't anyone carrying multiples know already?) and this week talks about placenta previa. Continuing in its upbeat trends. One of my email newsletters had the temerity to suggest that my sleep might be "compromised." Another mentioned the possibility that I might be experiencing achiness or numbness in my hands, wrists, fingers. Really? Crazy symptoms these preggos have.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear Kara, you'll feel better in about 30 years....but the love and happiness froglet brings will be worth it. As long as he doesn't step on a crack....tee hee!

    ReplyDelete